Why should HR take an interest in the social interactions taking place at work?
- a feeling of emotional support
- a sense of belonging
- a sense that others will help if needed
- a recognition of self-worth and value
- a high degree of stability in one's life situation
The study proved the following:
- Low LMX = High stress, low organizational commitment, low job satisfaction
- High LMX = Low stress, high organizational commitment, high job satisfaction
- Low WGI = High stress, low organizational commitment, low job satisfaction
- High WGI = Low stress, high organizational commitment, high job satisfaction
Does your company take social relationships at work into account?
Please take 30 seconds to answer 5 quick questions. We will post the results to this blog as well as e-mail them to those who would like them.
Rousseau ET AL. Social Interactions at Work and Psychological Health: The Role of Leader Member Exchange and Work Group Integration. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. July 2008, Vol. 38., Issue 7, p.1755-1777.